Beer, Pizza, and Death
Rumors, Legends, and Lies
Many rumors and legends surround the Crypt of Chaos. Some are even true! Peruse the following if you dare:
- the blind dwarven craftsmen who built the Crypt still live within its labyrinth, still expanding and excavating new sections to this day.
- a mysterious order of bibliophile monks protect a vast library located underground in the labyrinth. They jealously prevent any others from perusing it’s stacks.
- the walls and layout of the Crypt shift and change. Doors close themselves and damage done to it seems to heal over time.
- the head engineer of the Crypt was an elf who hated dwarves. Many traps within the Crypt only affect dwarven interlopers.
- the innermost crypt – the tomb of King Merkul – isn’t a tomb at all. It’s a sealed utopia he retreated to with a select group of morally pure citizens. Their descendants still dwell in splendid isolation within their paradise.
- the upper level is overrun by both paladin patrols and the thieves’ guild. Don’t get caught up in their war.
- King Merkul used magic to transform those he viewed as morally unclean into hybrid monsters. These tortured criminals guard his tomb to this day.
- the dead walk in the Crypts. In fact, anyone who dies in its halls is doomed to be reborn as an undead monstrosity.
- tales of King Merkul’s moral rectitude are greatly over stated. He had a demon lover who to this day will not leave his side, lurking over his remains gibbering curses upon all who enter his tomb.